Monday, April 5, 2010

SplitCoastStampers Color Challenge - Owl


This card is for last week's Color Challenge (#264) - Bermuda Bay, So Saffon and Basic Gray. I also cased a card by my stamping idol - Sue Nelson. Here is Sue's card. I don't have Basic Gray - I only have Going Gray. So, I used some dark gray paper from Lasting Impressions and a charcoal gray card base. I also only have Bermuda Bay cardstock and marker - no ink pad. And since I needed to sponge with it, I used the alternative - Taken With Teal.

I first embossed the LI paper with the owl Cuttlebug folder. I had to do the owl first, because I didn't want blue on the owl. After I embossed, I sanded it down. (The LI paper has a white back.) After sanding, I sponged So Saffron on the white areas. Then I embossed with the Diamonds in the Rough folder, sanded again, and sponged with Taken With Teal - avoiding the owl. I matted the owl with Taken With Teal and then on to the card base. The sentiment (from Hero Arts) is stamped with Taken With Teal on So Saffron, cut with a square Nestability, sponged with an Antique Pewter pigment ink, and matted on a scalloped square cut from Taken With Teal. The sentiment panel is mounted on Pop Dots.



Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope you'll come back and visit again soon!

5 comments:

Sheri said...

WOW Now that is very cool!

Sue Nelson said...

WOW! is right!

The inking option is brilliant! I am teaching my Cuttlebug class this week and will be sure to mention this technique using the LI paper!

What actual tool are you using for the sponging?

Just awesome, Lynette.

Carolyn King said...

Very cool! LOVE this!!! fun texture you achieved!

Leslie Miller said...

This is a very cool card, and everything you did to make it that way is so interesting! Love the double embossing and the sanding. It's all so carefully thought out and well executed!

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

Very clever card, Lynette! Love that owl CB folder and the way you sanded the paper and sponged different color inks on it. Great ideas!